/#segment

Segment Marketing Site

Fall 2015
The Challenge

Our challenge was to improve the effectiveness of communication on our marketing site by starting with a redesign of the home page.

Segment sales and support teams were spending excessive amounts of time educating customers on what Segment is and isn’t, and it became clear our marketing site wasn’t doing its job. Poor conversion rates from home page through to successful account creation also informed our focus.

As a young company still working to define itself, the challenges of clearly communicating what we are and what our value is went deeper than just the marketing site. Internally there were a lot of different opinions and interviews revealed a wide range of ways in which people explained our product.

The Solution

Working with Carolann Bonner, we began by understanding and internalizing the problem. We then took time to quickly familiarize our selves with relevant strategies for thinking about and approaching the problem.

Identifying an underlying concept that framed Segment in terms of “data access, completeness and correctness” gave us a starting point. With this concept and insights gained through “jobs to be done” interviews, we begin diverging on possible solutions.

We used feedback from teams internally to iterate on various story concepts. Themes started to emerge and enabled us to converge on a smaller set of ideas. This exercise also help to influence more internal alignment with how we think about and describe our product.

Our next step was to take the remaining concepts and build upon them with visuals. We used mind-maps and time restricted exercises to quickly generate many ideas.

We quickly prototyped our concepts with the new visuals and got input from teammates in various departments. This enabled us to eliminate more ideas and focus in on a smaller set of concepts.

After eliminating and converging we were ready to test the remaining ideas with our target audience. We built low fidelity prototypes, recruited testers and used Google Hangouts to facilitate the tests. By linking to JPGs of our prototypes and using the screen-sharing functionality we were able to make observations and ask questions while the tester remained comfortable in their natural environment.

From left to right: Prototype 1, 2, 3 and 4:

After four prototype iterations and ~20 testing session we had a final version that we felt would be a solid starting point for improving the effectiveness of the communication on our marketing site. A lot of what we learned set us up for making larger architectural changes to the rest of the marketing site.